We spend a considerable amount of time and money every month to get rid of excessive hair. The traditional methods of hair removal like hair removal creams, waxing and shaving are expensive, painful and time-consuming. Laser treatment is one of the most popular methods to remove hair permanently and is safe for all types of skin. It includes a laser which emits heat energy to target hair follicle. Pigment in the follicle absorbs the light and that destroys the hair roots. The procedure does not work on blonde, light brown, light red, white, and grey hair. It works best for people with light skin and dark hair. It can be used to remove hair from face, leg, arm, underarm and bikini lines.
Although the safety of a laser hair removal procedure is guaranteed, there are some pre and post treatment measures that you, as a patient, will have to follow.
- Do not shave 7-8 days before the treatment so that your doctor can see the subtle growth on the treatment day.
- Do not take any herbals or photosensitive drugs for 24 hours before the treatment.
- Go for an anti-viral therapy before and after the treatment if you have a history of herpes.
- Don’t wax or bleach 4 to 6 weeks before the treatment.
- Protect your skin from the sun for at least 4-5 weeks before the treatment. Apply a sunblock with an SPF of 30, wear hats or wear sunglasses that filter UV light.
- Remember to apply sunblock before going out to prevent temporary changes in the colour of the treated skin.
- Avoid sunbathe for 4-5 days after the treatment.
- Do not over wash or exfoliate the treated skin as it can cause irritations.
- Avoid heavy exercises, hot bath or sauna that may cause perspiration as it may stimulate melanocytes, resulting in hyperpigmentation.
- Apply ice if the treated area feels warm to touch even after a day of treatment. It will reduce tenderness and swellings.
- Apply aloe vera on the treated area if you experience redness or swelling.
Laser hair removal treatment is generally a safe treatment when done by a qualified and experienced dermatologist as he/she will have certain safety standards. So, make sure to choose a skilled doctor when going for a laser treatment. This minimizes the chance of injury during the treatment and guarantees the best results.